Spurs 1 Burnley 1 – the sucker punch

Another disappointing result in August, it just never seems to come together for Pochettino at this time of the year. Another last minute goal conceded, it wasn’t that long ago that Spurs were the team of 90th minute winners, supposedly a testament to our manager’s penchant for extra training sessions. This felt like a real sucker punch.

Domination

On the face of it Spurs were the better team. 67% possession was expected at home against unfancied opposition but 28 shots to 13 shows that Tottenham managed to turn that possession into chances.

Expected goals

A graph of expected goals (my simple model) by time corroborates this.

Spurs_Burnley

In fact a simulation of the chances for both sides give Spurs a 62% chance of the win (19% Draw, 19% Burnley win).

No goal for Kane

Kane managed 10 shots, including a one-on-one with the keeper where he looked certain to score. So another unproductive August for our star striker, not for want of trying. Roll on September.

Costly mistakes

Last time round it was an uncharacteristic last minute blunder by Lloris that gifted Chelsea the three points. Here Trippier let Wood sneak behind him for the equaliser as time ran out. It’s hard to legislate for individual mistakes but Trippier is yet to step up after Walker’s departure. It will be interesting to see if he keeps the role, a new signing comes in or Walker-Peters is the long term thinking. I hope it’s the latter.

A lack of creativity

Spurs did enough to win this game and an individual mistake cost us. However, if you are 2 or 3 up, you don’t leave yourself at risk from mistakes. I have written before about Pochettino’s team’s slow starts. Let’s hope rustiness is the problem; that the passing gets faster, the movement better, and the confidence increases as the players grow into the new season.

Discuss it with me on Twitter: @ABPSpurs

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Spurs 1 Burnley 1 – the sucker punch

What do you think? Please leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s