Today’s game against Everton is a key match for Spurs and Mauricio Pochettino, but how can the Spurs manager finally get his team to click?
Above is the team I would play.
- Chiriches impressed at right back against Hull. He has been a liability at centre back in his few appearances this term but he has pace and is good on the ball – maybe fullback is a position more suited to his talents. Half an hour against a team with 10 men is not a proper test but with Naughton suspended and Walker injured, what do we have to lose?
- Aaron Lennon gave us a threat out wide last week, which in turn opened up space in the centre for Eriksen. The Dane also benefited from a withdrawn role, where he had more time and room to be the playmaker.
- Chiriches and Lennon will have to deal with Baines, Everton’s key threat.
- Stambouli has more energy and bite than most of our other central midfield players and is therefore more suited to pressing. He had a good game in midweek and I think deserves a first Premier League start. Him and Mason will have their work cut out protecting our back four from Everton’s dynamic attack.
- If Chadli is out I would bring in Lamela. I favour the Belgian because of his goal scoring threat. He can come inside and lend support to Kane, who has to start up front.
- Kane has to start as the main striker. He scored again last week and has fully justified his place.
- I have gone for Dier and Vertonghen at centre back. Both have pace and are quite mobile for that position. In addition both have experience at fullback so can help cover out wide if needed. Dier may be a controversial pick because of his inexperience but neither Fazio nor Kaboul have impressed so far, so I would give the young Englishman a go.
Do you agree with this team? What side would you put out? Let me know in the comments below.