Spurs 5-1 win at home to Asteras was a vital three points from a very entertaining match that saw us revive our faltering European campaign. Here are some quick thoughts on the game:
- Asteras really aren’t as good a team as their other results suggested. The Greeks topped the group before this game but were nothing like as dangerous as Besiktas had been last time out.
- Harry Kane is developing into a very useful option up front. Here he scored a hat-trick that demonstrated a nice breadth of skills – a shot from distance, a poacher’s finish and a header. It will be interesting to see if his performances earn him a chance in the league. With one Premier League goal from a striker this season, it’s not like the competition is that fierce!
- Lamela’s “rabona” goal showed incredible skill. He had a great game after a poor match at the weekend. He is starting to look like very classy player but so far he seems to be only effective against less capable opponents. The young midfielder has looked a world beater against QPR and Asteras but has struggled when facing the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool.
- I don’t want to sound like a killjoy but is his right foot really that bad?
- Even in a game that we dominated Lloris had to make one or two great saves to deny the Greeks. His late sending off was more a result of our defence leaving him stranded again, than an error on his part. Harry Kane immediately demonstrated how difficult the goalkeeping position is as he fumbled a weak shot into the net.
- Unusually for the Europa League, the team-sheet had a few of the bigger names on it – Capoue, Lamela, Vertonghen and Adebayor all started. Even Eriksen and Chadli got a run out as substitutes. Was this because Pochettino saw this game as vital to our progress out of the group? Or is it a sign he’s less worried about the visit of Newcastle at the weekend?
- With Adebayor and Kane both starting, the biggest news from this game could be that Soldado is likely to get another chance in the Premier League this weekend against a Newcastle side there for the taking.
What did you think of the game and particularly Lamela’s goal? Let me know in the comments below.