I was at White Hart Lane for Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Besiktas. It was an enjoyable match to watch in a perverse way. Besiktas were well deserving of their point but the equaliser was still hard to take, having led for so long.
Here are some quick observations:
- Spurs defence was terrible, one of the worst performances I have seen. Besiktas constantly got behind us and there always seemed to be an unmarked opposition player loitering in the Spurs penalty box. The complete opposite to our resilient display in the north London derby.
- Vald Chiriches had an awful game. In the second minute he gave the ball away leading to a Besiktas chance and it got worse from there. He was constantly out of position, lost possession in dangerous areas and was run ragged by Demba Ba. The Romanian’s air shot and handball in conceding the last minute penalty was just the icing on the cake.
- Spurs were out-shot 24 to 9 and had only 47% possession, at home.
- Lloris was our best player yet again. He saved us on several occasions and was constantly shouting at his defenders, trying to get them to up their game.
- Harry Kane looked promising and deserved his goal, while Stambouli had a decent game showing some nice skills to get out of tight spots. Dier was one of our main threats going forward, while Townsend was the only attacking player who had a real go at the opposition.
- Soldado made some nice touches but in 79 minutes didn’t even muster a shot at goal. He can justifiably point to a lack of service but even so, it was an ineffectual performance.
- Paulinho’s confidence looks shot. At one point, Pochettino came onto the pitch during a break in play and gave him a boisterous pat on the back. It didn’t work.
- There were lots of fairly obvious Besiktas fans around where I was sitting in the Spurs end. When the equaliser went in they gave up all pretence and were standing, singing and shouting. I’m not sure how this could have been avoided and there was no trouble but it was a strange experience.
All in all an enjoyable evening despite the result. I don’t think it’s fair to judge Pochettino on games like this. This was essentially a B side and, one or two apart, I can’t see many of these players featuring against Southampton on Sunday.
Do you have an other interesting stats from this season? Let me know in the comments below.
Football stuff at Amazon
|Football tactics book||Football stats book||New FIFA 15|