After a long gap, the blog’s back with some quick thoughts on our most convincing win of the season.
- 442 works at home against Stoke but we may need a rethink at Old Trafford on Wednesday. A mixture of Eriksen coming infield and, suprisingly, Adebayor tracking back made sure we weren’t overrun in midfield.
- Paulinho was very good. Maybe he can be the box-to-box midfielder we had been promised. Do we definitely need a holding player when both central midfielders are complete players disciplined enough to take turns? Dembele and Paulinho at their best could be enough.
- Lennon gives us the dynamism we missed earlier in the season and he’s still much more effective than Townsend. His pace, Eriksen’s guile and Paulinho and Dembele’s athleticism was a good combination in midfield.
- Naughton is much better on the right. Chiriches looks like a very classy player but with mistakes in him, hopefully he can cut these out as he settles into English football. I hate to say it but Dawson looks the weak link and Kaboul or Vertonghen should replace him when one of them is fit.
- Lloris saves us regularly with his speed coming off his line. He looked a bit shaky after his head injury and I thought it was affecting his confidence but he seems to have put that behind him now. Being so quick to rush out he is going to make mistakes from time to time, but overall I think the occasional howler is worth it for the number of goals he prevents.
- Lamela looks very promising despite not making much of an impact so far. The skill is clearly there.